Financial Assistance Policy
Cuyuna Regional Medical Center provides financial assistance to persons who have healthcare needs and are unable to pay for necessary services. CRMC strives to ensure that financial issues do not prevent patients from seeking or receiving medically necessary care.
It is our goal to provide affordable healthcare services to all patients regardless of the ability to pay and assist uninsured or underinsured patients who cannot pay for part or all of the care they receive. “Financial Assistance” as defined, by the means of provision of free or discounted care to a patient pursuant to financial assistance policies.
Financial assistance is not considered to be a substitute for personal responsibility. Patients must cooperate with CRMC procedures for obtaining financial assistance. Patients are expected to contribute to the cost of their care based on their ability to pay. Individuals with the financial means to purchase health insurance shall be urged to do so. This assures access to health care services and protects their assets.
In order to allow CRMC to provide a fair level of assistance to the greatest number of persons in need, the organization established the following guidelines for financial assistance.
- Applicants are required to complete the application process for qualified Health Insurance. This process may include Medicare, Medical Assistance, MNSure, Federal Insurance Exchange products or other legislative qualified Health Care Insurance Plans. For assistance that enters into the following calendar year, applicants are required update application information.
- Financial assistance will be accessible when there is a reason to believe that a patient owes the debt for hospital services.
- Financial Assistance will be accessible when CRMC has offered a reasonable repayment plan according to the Financial Assistance Income Guidelines and the Health and Human Services Federal Poverty Guidelines.
- Financial Assistance will be accessible when all external resources have been researched and acceptance of payment denied.
- Responsibility for determining Financial Assistance acknowledgement will be delegated to the financial review committee (as defined).
- Applicants will be required to complete the Financial Assistance Application for Eligibility Determination. (Attachment A)
- Financial Assistance application must contain supporting documentation for all required financial criteria.
- Written acknowledgement of Financial Assistance Application acceptance or denial will be mailed to the patient within 30 days of receipted request.
- Applications denied for Financial Assistance will follow the guidelines contained within CRMC’s Self Pay Collections Policy.
- Financial Assistance Applications are processed routinely to help identify patients and their ability to pay.
- Once a coverage determination is made, all applicants are notified by mail.
- Applicants who are over the established income guidelines are given direction to contact the CRMC business office for payment arrangements.
- Financial Assistance is available for all patients per their request or available at www.cuyunamed.org.
- Itemized bills and detailed collection events are available per patient request.
- For patients inquiring about price of service, the information is available through the Director of Managed Care Contracts.
- Financial Assistance will be available for one year after approval of Financial Assistance Application letter date.
It is CRMC’s goal to provide affordable healthcare services to all patients regardless of the ability to pay and assist uninsured or underinsured patients who cannot pay for part or all of the care they receive. Financial Assistance is defined as: By the means of provision of free or discounted care to a patient pursuant to financial assistance polices approved by the Hospital Board of Directors.
For questions about financial assistance, please call 218-546-7000 and ask to speak with a Financial Advisor.